Updates in Policy and Government
- California sets new rules for mystery donations made on behalf of lawmakerson October 21, 2021
The change comes after the Los Angeles Times revealed the little-known practice of unidentified donors routing charitable contributions through accounts that shield their identity.
- Harris blasts Republicans for blocking voting rights billon October 21, 2021
Vice President Kamala Harris, at an event for the anniversary of Martin Luther King's monument in Washington, vows to keep fighting for voting access.
- Texas urges Supreme Court to reject new challenge to its strict abortion lawon October 21, 2021
Questioning whether a right to abortion even exists, Texas asks the Supreme Court to reject a challenge to its strict law and overturn Roe vs. Wade.
- California state government is admirably trying to address drought. It's a tough nut to crackon October 21, 2021
Gov. Newsom declared a statewide drought emergency on Tuesday, which will help the state expedite drought relief projects, columnist George Skelton writes.
- New California oil drilling must be set back from homes and schools, Newsom sayson October 21, 2021
The driving force behind Gov. Gavin Newsom's decision is the public health risk linked to oil and gas production.
- Pandemic spurs young families to leave big cities for the heartland. Will they stay?on October 21, 2021
New telework opportunities could slow exodus from rural America, but housing and lifestyle challenges abound.