Updates in Policy and Government
- U.S., NATO step up war footing in crisis over possible Russian invasion of Ukraineon January 25, 2022
Western embassies are also moving some of their staff out of Kyiv
- Harris touts removal and replacement of lead pipes funded by infrastructure lawon January 24, 2022
In Milwaukee, Vice President Kamala Harris framed the projects as a jobs creator and a public health effort.
- Rick Caruso changes registration to Democrat as he weighs a run for L.A. mayoron January 24, 2022
Rick Caruso says he has changed his registration to Democrat as he considers a run for L.A. mayor. He has donated to George W. Bush and other Republicans, as well as to Democrats.
- Supreme Court turns away GOP appeal of House rule that permits proxy voteson January 24, 2022
In McCarthy vs. Pelosi, Republican leader Kevin McCarthy urged the Supreme Court to overrule House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
- Supreme Court signals it may outlaw most affirmative action at universitieson January 24, 2022
The Supreme Court takes on affirmative action, and its conservative justices may be ready to forbid race as a factor in admissions to universities.
- Column: No debate on skyrocketing cost of California single-payer bill? So much for good governmenton January 24, 2022
The contentious single-payer healthcare bill, AB 1400, sailed through the Assembly Appropriations Committee on a party-line 11-3 vote without any discussion, columnist George Skelton writes.